Sunday, May 22, 2016

I Won and A Star to Remember

A couple weeks ago Quiltmaker magazine released Quilmaker's 100 Block collector's addition vol. 13.  Debbie at Shadow of the Blue Ridge drew my name.  Woohoo!  Of course Debbie's block Flowers For the Cabin just had to be the first block I would make.  There are lots of little pieces in this block but it was so worth the time to make.  I love that it is a log cabin block of flowers and basket.  Since this month's rainbow color is green I decide I would make a green block.
I am considering making more rainbow Flower For the Cabin blocks.

I also gave this Carpenter Star quilt to a friend.  Today her son would have graduated from high school but four years ago he passed away from cancer.  I thought she could use a quilty hug.



My friend Norece quilted it for me.  She does beautiful quilting and that made this Carpenter Star quilt sparkle.  I am sure her son is watching over her.

15 comments:

  1. The quilt for your friend who lost her son is just gorgeous. More importantly, you remembered a milestone that was missed, and she'll always remember you did that. How thoughtful and kind to make the time to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen how fun to see your Flowers for the Cabin block! It's always so exciting to see others make something I designed :o)

    Oh how special the Carpenter Star quilt is - such a great way to love on your friend and let her know her precious son is not forgotten, and never will be. A blessing indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful gift to send a friend at this time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How thoughtful. I'm sure your friend will appreciate that you remembered. So nice to see one of the quilt blocks from 100 blocks made up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely LOVE the Carpenter's Star you made for your friend!! I'm sure she is touched by your generosity. The care that you expressed is sure to mean the world to her. I know this because DS2 graduates next month and we came close to losing him 3 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That Carpenter's Star grabbed my eye right away--I love blue and I do love that block. You did a great job and your quilting friend did it proud. Poignant story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely thing to do for your friend. I bet you brought tears to her eyes. Congrats on the win too! In my block pattern book that block is called Hanging Basket, which is exactly what it looks like to me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on your win! You're a sweet friend, Karen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your block really does look like a hanging basket. It is just too cute. Thank you for letting me be a little part of your gift to your friend. You truly Bring a lot of joy to others with your quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay for the win...the green block is a beauty!
    So nice of you to send a quilt for a hug...

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the win. Great way to be a friend to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Don't you just love giveaways?!! That is such a neat block--I really like how it combines the log cabin and basket designs. And what a sweet gift for your friend. It's a beautiful oversize block, but even more beautiful that you thought of what she must be going through at the loss of this milestone for her son.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How good of you to make/gift the quilt for your friend --

    Like your basket, too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I picked up that magazine too for Bonnie Hunter's block, but I really like that Flowers for the Cabin block too. Thanks for your post, or I might have missed it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats on the win! I'm sorry for the loss. The quilt is a beautiful gift for sure.

    ReplyDelete